The GIS German Institute for the Southwest is your place for all German language testing. We offer all of the important and prestigious tests (click on the links to jump to a detailed discussion of each type of exam):
- Goethe-Institut Exams for Young People and Adults, Levels A1 – C2
- TestDaF Exams for Students who wish to study, conduct research, or work in Germany, Levels B2 to C1
- International Business German Exam (Pruefung Wirtschaftsdeutsch International/PWD) For this exam we provide Goethe-certified examiners to the German American Chamber of Commerce – Houston, Levels B2 to C1
Do you require evidence of your German language skills that is recognized all over the world? If so, then you’ve come to the right place! At GIS German Institute for the Southwest, we offer the prestigious Goethe-Institut German exams for all levels of proficiency, ranging from A1 to C2:
- A1 – Elementary Use of Language
- Young People (Fit in Deutsch, 10 to 16 years of age)
- Adults (Start Deutsch 1)
- A2 – Elementary Use of Language –
- Young People (Fit in Deutsch, 12 to 16 years of age)
- B1 – Independent Use of Language (Young People and Adults)
- B2 – Independent Use of Language (Adults)
- C1 and C2 – Autonomous Language Ability (Adults)
For a description of the Goethe-Institut’s various tests levels, click here
Exams are held at the LCI Building, 3618 Mt Vernon (corner of Mt Vernon and Marshall Streets), Houston, TX 77098. Click here for a map. Test days are on Saturdays, on the dates set forth below, from 9:00 – 2:00 p.m. or longer, depending on the level being tested. Please note that we require a picture identification, either a valid driver’s license or passport, on the day of testing.
If you should require a test at times other than the dates below, please contact us immediately so that we may consider scheduling an examination outside of the official test schedule. There will be additional costs associated with this service. If you register after the deadline, there will be a Late Fee of $80 to cover costs and postage charged to us by the Goethe-Institut. Please contact us at email@example.com or call 713-822-4257 for information.
Please note that, in addition to the Testing Fee (see schedule below), there is a non-refundable Registration Fee of $35 due at the time of registration, and, if applicable, the Late Fee of $80.
Testing Fee Schedule
|Level||GIS Student||Non-GIS Student|
|Fit in Deutsch A1||$60||$70|
|Fit in Deutsch A2||$60||$70|
|Level||GIS Student||Non-GIS Student|
|Start Deutsch A1||$110||$130|
|B1 Single Module||$60||$70|
|C2 Single Module||$100||$120|
Test Schedule for 2018
Goethe-Institut Exam I
- Saturday, January 20, 2018, 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Regular Registration ends on Sunday, December 24, 2017
- Late Registration (Late Fee of $80 required) ends on Sunday, January 7, 2018
Goethe-Institut Exam II
- Saturday, March 3, 2018
- Regular Registration ends on Sunday, February 4, 2018
- Late Registration (Late Fee of $80 required) ends on Sunday, February 18, 2018
Goethe-Institut Exam III
- Saturday, June 2, 2018
- Regular Registration ends on Sunday, May 6, 2018
- Late Registration (Late Fee of $80 required) ends on Sunday, May 20, 2018
Goethe-Institut Exam IV
- Saturday, September 8, 2018
- Regular Registration ends on Sunday, August 12, 2018
- Late Registration (Late Fee of $80 required) ends on Sunday, August 26, 2018
Goethe-Institut Exam V
- Saturday, November 3, 2018
- Regular Registration ends on Sunday, October 7, 2018
- Late Registration (Late Fee of $80 required) ends on Sunday, October 21, 2018
The TestDaF (Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache) exam can only be taken at licensed test centers. GIS German Institute for the Southwest is one of only 8 test centers in the USA.
Registration for the TestDaF exams can only be made on the official TestDaF website. Click here for the site.
Goethe-certified examiners of GIS German Institute for the Southwest administer the TestDaF exams on the world-wide testing dates set by the TestDaF organization:
- February 20, 2018
- April 26, 2018
- May 23, 2018
- July 19, 2018
- September 20, 2018
- November 13, 2018
At this location:
University Testing Services
The University of Houston
Student Service Center 1
4365 Wheeler Street
Houston, TX 77204-3025
You can park at the Hilton Hotel (4550 University Drive, Houston, TX 77004) garage at the University of Houston, click here for a map, and then walk to the Student Service Center. Click here for a map of the location of the Student Service Center 1 on campus (4365 Cougar Village Drive, Houston, TX 77004).
The TestDaF is an advanced-level language exam. It covers levels B2 to C1 on the six-level scale of competence laid down in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
The certificate issued upon successful completion of all four sections of the TestDaF exam at TestDaF level 4 will act as evidence of the language skills needed to gain admission to almost any subject and degree course at universities and institutions of higher education in Germany. The TestDaF language exam also provides internationally recognized evidence that your knowledge of German is sufficient to complete scientific projects and enter academic professions.
No specialized knowledge is required to take the exam.
Prüfung Wirtschaftsdeutsch International (PWD) is an internationally recognized test given by the German American Chamber of Commerce – South (GACC Houston). The standardized exam is carried out around the world and is recognized by employers in many countries as evidence of a high level of business language proficiency in German. The level of PWD is between levels B2 and C1 of the European Framework.
Registration for the PWD exam can only be made on the GACC Houston website. Click here for the site. The PWD exam will be given on December 9, 2017, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at a central location (to be announced). The registration deadline is on November 8, 2017.
An executive of the GACC Houston and a Goethe-certified examiner of GIS German Institute for the Southwest administer the PWD exam at the location determined by GACC Houston on December 9, 2017.
Anyone over 18 years of age, who is not a native German speaker, is eligible to sit for the exam. Click here for information and exam practice material by the Association of German Chambers of Commerce and Industry (DIHK), and click here for information by the GACC Houston.