(Click on a title/course below to see details on that title/course)
General Information about Our Adult German Courses
Click here to register and pay for all adult courses
- Houston evening classes are held at the LCI Building, 3618 Mt Vernon (corner of Mt Vernon and Marshal Streets), Houston, TX 77006. Some Houston morning classes are held at the LCI Building, 3618 Mt Vernon (corner of Mt Vernon and Marshal Streets), Houston, TX 77006 or at First Evangelical Lutheran Church, 1311 Holman Street, Houston, TX 77004. The GIS Registrar will notify you by email in which location your morning class will be held.
- Rosenberg classes are held at St. John’s United Church of Christ, 1513 West Street, Rosenberg, TX 77471.
- The Woodlands classes are held at Spirit of Joy! Lutheran Church, 7550 Crownridge Drive, The Woodlands, TX 77382.
Proficiency Levels. We teach all levels of proficiency, corresponding to the Goethe-Institut designations: A1.1, A1.2, A1.3 – A2.1, A2.2, A2.3 – B1.1, B1.2, B1.3 – B2.1, B2.2, B2.3 – C1 and C2. We reserve the right to cancel a class that has less than 5 students enrolled. In case a class is canceled, refunds will be issued to enrolled students. The objectives and contents of these courses are based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Our students often have different levels of experience in the German language. In order for proper placement of each student, we determine the level of proficiency during a special testing day or on the first day of a course, and form the classes accordingly.
Specific Classes. We added a C1 standard class on Mondays and Wednesdays from 4:45 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. Sometimes the step-up from B1 to B2 can be difficult, and we added a B1 Plus class on Mondays and Wednesdays from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. If you wish to take one of these two classes, just add C1 or B1+ in the comment section of the registration: https://germansouthwest.org/german-language-classes-for-adults/#f2019std
Instruction Materials. We use instruction material used by Goethe-Instituts world-wide, as well as some universities. In some cases, course materials will be made available on the first day of class; the cost is approximately $50 ($25 for a course book and $25 for a work book), if you do not have one from a prior class, or you will be informed where to purchase the books. You must be sure to get the correct edition for class. General materials (photocopies) for the children’s classes will be made available, but there is a materials fee of $35. For children’s classes where books are used, the books must be purchased, and cost approximately $20 per book.
Discounts. Returning students receive a discount of ten percent, and there usually is an early registration discount for each session (see below). We reserve the right to cancel a course that does not have the requisite number of students enrolled.
Corporate Classes. We also offer classes to your employees at your facilities at your convenience. Please contact Angelika at email@example.com or 713-822-4257 for more information.
Private Tutoring. We offer private tutoring from our highly qualified instructors on an hourly time basis in packages of ten hours per purchase. Please contact Angelika at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-822-4257 for more information.
Winter 2020 Term – 10-Week Standard German – Houston – Jan 6 to Mar 11
Morning Classes are held at First Evangelical Lutheran Church, 1311 Holman, Houston, TX 77004. Evening Classes are held at 3618 Mt. Vernon, Houston, TX 77006.
- Classes on Mondays and Wednesdays
- January 6, 8; 13, 15; 20, 22; 27, and 29
- February 3, 5; 10, 12; 17, 19, and 24, 26
- March 2, 4; 9, and 11
- 20 classes
- Each class is 1½ hours long and includes two 45-minute teaching units
- Choice of Morning or Evening Course (Must be selected at time of registration)
- Morning Classes from 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Evening Classes from 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Early Registration ends Sunday, December 15, 2019 (you get a $20 discount)
- Regular Registration ends Sunday, December 29, 2019
- Late Registration begins on Monday, December 30, 2019 (you pay $25 more for the course)
- Tuition: $575 (Returning students receive 10% discount)
- NO REGISTRATION FEE
- Registration now open – Click here to register