The GIS German Institute for the Southwest is your place for all German language testing. We offer all of the important and prestigious tests (click on the links to jump to a detailed discussion of each type of exam):
- Goethe-Institut Exams for Young People and Adults, Levels A1 – C2
- TestDaF Exams for Students who wish to study, conduct research, or work in Germany, Levels B2 to C1
- International Business German Exam (Pruefung Wirtschaftsdeutsch International/PWD) For this exam we provide Goethe-certified examiners to the German American Chamber of Commerce – Houston, Levels B2 to C1
Do you require evidence of your German language skills that is recognized all over the world? If so, then you’ve come to the right place! At GIS German Institute for the Southwest, we offer the prestigious Goethe-Institut German exams for all levels of proficiency, ranging from A1 to C2:
- A1 – Elementary Use of Language
- Young People (Fit in Deutsch, 10 to 16 years of age)
- Adults (Start Deutsch 1)
- A2 – Elementary Use of Language –
- Young People (Fit in Deutsch, 12 to 16 years of age)
- B1 – Independent Use of Language (Young People and Adults)
- B2 – Independent Use of Language (Adults)
- C1 and C2 – Autonomous Language Ability (Adults)
For a description of the Goethe-Institut’s various tests levels, click here
Goethe Exams are held at The Houston Saengerbund, 1703 Heights Boulevard, Houston, TX 77008. Click here for a map. Test days are on Saturdays, on the dates set forth below, from 9:00 – 2:00 p.m. or longer, depending on the level being tested. Please note that we require a picture identification, either a valid driver’s license or passport, on the day of testing.
If you should require a test at times other than the dates below, please contact us immediately so that we may consider scheduling an examination outside of the official test schedule. There will be additional costs associated with this service. If you register after the deadline, there will be a Late Fee of $85 to cover costs and postage charged to us by the Goethe-Institut. Please contact us at email@example.com or call 713-822-4257 for information.
Please note that, in addition to the Testing Fee (see schedule below), there is a non-refundable Registration Fee of $35 due at the time of registration, and, if applicable, the Late Fee of $85.
Testing Fee Schedule
|Level||GIS Student||Non-GIS Student|
|Fit in Deutsch A1||$115||$140|
|Fit in Deutsch A2||$120||$145|
|Level||GIS Student||Non-GIS Student|
|Start Deutsch A1||$130||$150|
|B1 Single Module||$85||$105|
|B2 Single Module||$85||$105|
|C2 GDS Single Module||$110||$140|
Test Schedule for 2023
We are offering five Goethe-Institut exams this year, and we are testing all levels from A1 to C2 at each exam. Please register for each exam here: https://germansouthwest.org/language-school/exam-registration/
Goethe-Institut Exam I – all Levels A1 – C2
- Saturday, January 21, 2023, 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Regular Registration ends on Friday, December 30, 2022
- Late Registration ends on Friday, January 6, 2023; late fee $85
Goethe-Institut Exam II – all Levels A1 – C2
- Saturday, March 4, 2023, 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Regular Registration ends on Friday, February 10, 2023
Late Registration ends on Friday, February 17, 2023; late fee $85
We have reached our limit of registrants for the exam on March 4, and there will be no late registration.
Goethe-Institut Exam III – all Levels A1 – C2
- Saturday, May 13, 2023, 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Registration ends on Friday, April 21 2023
- Late Registration ends on Friday, April 28, 2023; late fee $85
Goethe-Institut Exam IV – all Levels A1 – C2
- Saturday, September 16, 2023, 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Regular Registration ends on Friday, September 1, 2023
- Late Registration ends on Friday, September 8, 2023; late fee $85
Goethe-Institut Exam V – all Levels A1 – C2
- Saturday, November 4, 2023, 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Regular Registration ends on Friday, October 13, 2023
- Late Registration ends on Friday, October 20, 2023; late fee $85
Tentative Test Schedule for 2023
The TestDaF (Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache) exam can only be taken at licensed test centers. GIS German Institute for the Southwest is one of only 8 test centers in the U.S.
Registration for the TestDaF exams can only be made on the official TestDaF website. Click here for the site.
Goethe-certified examiners of GIS German Institute for the Southwest administer the TestDaF exams on the world-wide testing dates set by the TestDaF organization. We currently do not offer TestDaF exams.
At this location:
University Testing Services
The University of Houston
Student Service Center 1
4365 Wheeler Street
Houston, TX 77204-3025
You can park at the Hilton Hotel (4550 University Drive, Houston, TX 77004) garage at the University of Houston, click here for a map, and then walk to the Student Service Center. Click here for a map of the location of the Student Service Center 1 on campus (4365 Cougar Village Drive, Houston, TX 77004).
The TestDaF is an advanced-level language exam. It covers levels B2 to C1 on the six-level scale of competence laid down in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
The certificate issued upon successful completion of all four sections of the TestDaF exam at TestDaF level 4 will act as evidence of the language skills needed to gain admission to almost any subject and degree course at universities and institutions of higher education in Germany. The TestDaF language exam also provides internationally recognized evidence that your knowledge of German is sufficient to complete scientific projects and enter academic professions.
No specialized knowledge is required to take the exam.
International Business German Exam (PWD)
Prüfung Wirtschaftsdeutsch International (PWD) is an internationally recognized test given by the German American Chamber of Commerce – South (GACC Houston). The standardized exam is carried out around the world and is recognized by employers in many countries as evidence of a high level of business language proficiency in German. The level of PWD is between levels B2 and C1 of the European Framework.
Registration for the PWD exam can only be made on the GACC Houston website. Click here for the site.
An executive of the GACC Houston and a Goethe-certified examiner of GIS German Institute for the Southwest administer the PWD exam at the location determined by GACC Houston.
Anyone over 18 years of age, who is not a native German speaker, is eligible to sit for the exam. Click here for information and exam practice material by the Association of German Chambers of Commerce and Industry (DIHK), and click here for information by the GACC Houston.